I know this, because I have read or heard all of these variations of the popular expression. But realness just means “to exist,” so when someone says a girlfriend is “dishing out Anne Frank realness,” I really don’t understand. I mean, I get that it is slang, and that people are just trying to have fun with words, but I think I’ve reached the age (27) where I cringe when people clutch at their youth by obsessively using phrases that seem to mean nothing. I mean, “tranny realness” just means that someone is a “tranny,” so…why? Are we that desperate for a catch phrase? And if we are, we need a better one.
Here is a list of ways ‘realness’ might be used. Read them aloud so you know how stupid it sounds:
• Bridget Jones realness
• Kafka on the Shore realness
• Bagel Bites realness
• Taking some ‘Me Time’ realness
• Waiting room realness before my colonoscopy
• Drama realness at the local discotheque
• Fierce working girl realness
• Jermaine Dupri realness
• Tonya Harding and Nancy Kerrigan realness
• Whoopi Goldberg centre square realness
• I’m an idiot realness
• I’m serving nautical-inspired, stickers, ponies and circle skirt realness
How have you used ‘realness’ in everyday life? Can you think of an example where someone doesn’t sound like an idiot?